Thursday, February 17, 2022

Ice in cocktails - good. Ice on wings - bad.

My friend and neighbor Courtney walked Bianca to school today with her son - thanks. Nicole walked herself and her 500 pound tenor sax to school. That left my friend and neighbor Clive to drive me to BART - where many an adventure gets a start.

BART was empty. Each piece of my luggage got a seat, I was facing the right way as I had my choice of seats. Is it that people are all still working from home? Are covid-cautious people avoiding public transit? Whatever, it was glorious. Flight boarded on time and then... delay due to maintenance issue. Seems the de-icing system needed a panel part replaced. No worries, 75 minutes later and it's wheels-up! Smooth ride into Mexico City. I caught 1/2 the Anthony Bourdain 'documentary', Roadrunner, and might finish it later. I grabbed a SIM card with 4.5GB of data just in case I blew out the 5GB that T-Mobile gives me for free with my plan. I brought a second phone to pull this off. Probably unnecessary. Oh I noticed no auto-correct, so please excuse my mistakes. UBER to the hotel, $12 and 30 minutes. Traffic was bad but not horrendous (Bangkok).

The hotel is comfy and I got a decent sized room to spread out my detritus.

I took a few minutes to sort out my money and documentation. Left passport here, took copy. Left tourist card here, took picture on phone. Took phone and power bank. Took some pesos and 1 credit card (left 2 here). Next time I will leave with a fully charged phone as my power bank is only slightly lighter than Nicole's sax. It was getting late so I looked for a decent place to eat within walking distance. Found one, headed over there, and was happy with the ambiance, service and food. Amaya is the place.

Not shown: an amazing tostada appetizer with calamari and lots of little extras. Cocktails were delicious and everything was in proportion (sugar, alcohol, spices). I took an Uber back ($2.50) and as I walked through the front door of the hotel, I spied a cute little bar and almost went in...but I have an early call for a Mexican cooking class tomorrow so I headed upstairs. What did I find?

Perfect, as I did not get dessert at Amaya.

So, not too much today. Looking forward to cooking class tomorrow with Peg and Al Bundy (I bet, we shall see). Night, all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home