Thursday, February 24, 2022

Ow my back!

Sitting for hours on those elf chairs on the boat wrecked my back. I didn't do a whole lot Monday during the day except rest up. Monday night, I went to Entremar with my Brther's friend's sister's daughter and her husband. (To be fair, the sister is my HS classmate and friend and made the connection - I just wanted to draw it out). Entremar is the less-busy and more casual sister of Contramar. The share a menu. I had many a delicious thing, but by far the best was the ceviche of some local fish something like a flounder. The setting is on a second floor and I had a look out onto a park.

My friend's daughter has a food and drink instagram and if you want to gasp at the beauty of Mexico City's offerings, check it out

The next day, Tuesday (why is this all being done so long after the fact? You'll see...) I walked 4km over to Ticuchi in the Polanco section of town. I ordered way too much to eat and like a dummy I scarfed it all down. My favorite hands-down the tamal de esquites - stuffed with roasted corn and cheese and other goodies.

From Ticuchi, I walked 4km to the Mezcal tasting, making a few park stops along the way

The mezcal tasting was booked through AirBnB and I didn't care for it for the content of the presentation nor the mezcal itself (it was from one small producer - many styles). The host was giving us a lecture on Mezcal and the history of Mexico. She has traveled extensively it seems and was making lots of references to things around the world...and half of them were just wrong. I have to think that perhaps some of the mezcal facts and stories might not be reliable. The mezcal itself was jarring, with a burnt plastic approach to the palate and gear oil finish. Nobody bought a bottle at the end of the tasting. Nobody even asked about the pricing.

The tasting group consisted of a guy from Youngstown, Ohio, who was on his fifth trip to Mexico City. He looked like Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys in his big glasses phase, but bald and short. The guy was nice and took off 1/2 way through the tasting. He has some pressing matter, probably rinsing his mouth out with ginger ale. There was also Jez - a 30 year old from Daly City. He's an ER nurse and works some crazy schedule where he does super long hours 11 days straight and then gets the rest of the month off. I don't remember the exact numbers but that how he can travel so much. Rounding out the group was a pair of friends from Toronto who were able to work remotely and decided to travel through Mexico. Those ladies were fresh out of college by 6 months or so. We all suffered through the bad liquor and headed out the door. Jez had a reservation at the "Hank Panky Cocktail Bar" - a super cool speakeasy. I was already starting to feel...unwell...and bailed. The Toronto ladies were debating whether to go or not. Jez, who I mentioned was 30, was actually EXACTLY 30 - it was his birthday! I convinced the Toronto crew to jump in on his reservation and celebrate his birthday with him. Off they went, and I Ubered home.

That night, I did not feel well at all. I thought it was maybe the large lunch, or the excessive walking in the heat, or maybe the putrid mezcal, but I just caught a stomach bug.

Now you know why this update is coming all in one chunk, days late. I was completely down on Wednesday, and canceled my trip to the Pyramids for today. Bummer. Today, after a very light breakfast and walk, I was feeling somewhat on the mend. I took an Uber to the National Museum of Acheology and THAT was well worth it!

There's a great park next to the museum and I had a relating stroll

I left the park and crossed a major road via overpass and ended up at the fringe of the Condesa area (very nice place). (S)trolling for food, I happened upon a spot specializing in Wild Boar. Well, come on. I had to, right?

Not wanting to tax my feet/back too much, I took an Uber to get some Gelato.

Let me tell you, Joe is on his grind. This gelato was the best I've had, and, yes, I've been to Rome! I forgot to mention that I came here Tuesday afternoon before the mezcal tasting. This was a repeat visit! Uber back to the hotel, and here I am relaxing. I took my covid test this morning, got the negative results (yay!), and checked in for my flight. The were heavily discounting the upgrade to business class, AND since business class gets 2 free bags instead of just 1, that knocked off another $30, making it an irrestistible propsistion. OK, United, you got me, but I am sure it'll be worth it.

Staying in, I think, and watching the Warriors in my hotel room. Great WiFi here at the Le Meridien - can stream without any problems. Trying for a late check-out so I can roam around in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home