Saturday, July 15, 2023

Maui be of service?

Maui is an interesting place. There are a few well-defined resort areas and then there's the rest. If you're ready to dole out a ton of cash you will be well cared-for at the Fairmont, Ritz, etc. However if you're spending more modestly you will have to suss out nice beaches, good places to eat, cool bars, etc. While I do like the lazy pampering of a resort, this a la carte vacationing is more fun and along the way I am seeing more of Maui as opposed to seeing the holodeck Maui offered up by the Grand Wailea and others. So I've been here almost 2 days. I've given myself permission to relax, which took a while to take, but I'mm good now. I'm so relaxed that I had a long dream (I have not had a dream in over a year). That means...REM sleep!!! The dream was crazy. I was in a hospital room and Teri Hatcher was the patient and she was having some health crisis and her vital signs were all over the place and fluctuating. A cadre of doctors and nurses could not figure out what was going on and Ms. Hatcher was visibly frightened. In, then, saunters Dr. Ken Jeong, who pokes around and says it's a broken clavicle, orders treatment, and leaves. I was hoping to get another long nice sleep last night but got a cell call at 5:00am. I can't turn of my cell because..kids...but hopefully no more of that this trip. Friday I ventured out to get some lunch. Most (all?) Foodland grocery stores have poke and it's pretty good. A few of them, though, sublet out some space to Oki's Seafood Corner, whose poke is exceptional! I got a combo box with limu tako and bluefin tuna. I got a litte (4 oz) side of hokkigai (surf clam). That poke was delicious and there was definitely some toro in the tuna side.
I put in a little beach time but it was too hot so I retreated and looked for a bar. I found a cool place in Wailuku called Esther's Fair Prospect. This was a small (cozy) place with a brilliantly stocked bar and a cool bartender who lived in the Bay Area for a spell. I got one of the house specials and it did not disappoint!
While drinking and chatting, the bar's co-owner came in and brought her dog. Soon after, some friends of her's came in. One of them Sinjin, was having his birthday so they included me in a shot round. I of course, bought him a birthday drink. When I asked how he got a British name (St. John -> Sinjin) his friends did a double-take. He was, as it turns out, named after the beach volleyball players (not the ). James Bond pseudonym Maui is full of food trucks and I could not stop at every one. I used to get lunch in this 80s in Honolulu at the "little yellow truck" - so good. Combo plate 2 scoops rice, 2 mac salad. Now they can be quite fancy. I did not stop here but liked the look of this truck:
My condo has an ocean view, but also a view of some junky stuff...probably won't stay in this part of Kihei again but if I do it will defintely be on the *other* side of the highway.
I went out to catch the sunset last night (missing it right now). Was listening to Fiji on headphones. I have to say that was pretty relaxing!
I had an unremarkable dinner last night at the Kihei outpost of Cafe O'Lei. No pictures. Today I started off at the farmer's market. There wasn't a lot there, sadly. The killer Chinese food lady was gone for the summer ("Too hot!") and there was a lack of produce in general. I got a Maui pineapple and papaya as well as some treats (jams, spices). The grilling rub made by the prison guard was really good - can't wait to try it on a pork shoulder or some ribs. Super nice people at the farmers market too.
I stopped in Paia and had a coffee and did some shopping. Rents are high and there are a lot of vacant storefronts. Sounds like home. I was going to try and catch an early lunch at Mama's Fish House - it came univerally recommended. I got there a smidge early and checkout out the ocean for a bit...windy! So Mama's is notoriously hard to get into...without a reservation. As a single willing to sit at the bar, I have a better chance than most and sure enough they let me right in! Not only that, but when I sat down the bartender asked me if I wanted a Mai Tai..I said hmm a little early and I was thinking wine but do you recommend it? She said no check it out waiter made a mistake and I am either going to give it to you or dump it. I think you can guess my path of action!
It was nowhere near the quality of the drinks from the bar yesterday but hey free is free! Duan says hunger is the best sauce, but free is right up there. For lunch I went with the stuffed kanpachi with crab and lobster, mac but crusted and baked. I know - so Trader Vik'sian - but it was delicious. So glad I came here. Also, there is a really small and cute beach right outside the restuarant. I wanted to take a selfie butt got someone to take my pic for me.
I stayed in Wailea once and remembered they had a swanky mall there so I dropped by. Ended up getting some gifts there.
I'm going to find some live music tonight and keep it mellow. If nobody reads this, that's OK - I will, years later, in the retirement home and it will bring me great joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home