Thursday, January 27, 2005

I've been in a bit of a jetlagged brain fog, so sorry about the blogging lapse. I ventured out of the hotel yesterday and got total sensory overload. Imagine a block of Manhattan then drop Vegas and Tokyo on top of it, squeeze it to 50 percent of its size, and you've got Hong Kong. Your eyes, ears, and nose get bombarded by everything from the garish, grating, and foul to the spectacular, melodic and heavenly. You can stand anywhere in Tsim Sha Tsui and throw a penny and it will bounce off one restaurant and hit another. If you can't find something to eat in Hong Kong, it's time to look for another planet.

I started off the day with Pho. Yes, the Vietnamese noodle soup. It seems ridiculous, but the place smelled so good I had to give it a try. It was just as delicious as I had hoped, and cost about $5USD. I topped it off with a Vietnamese iced coffee to keep me awake for the day and then headed out to take care of a couple of little things. I stopped by a cellphone store to get a SIM card for my Nokia. $12USD and I could get all the calling and SMSing I would need for my trip. Not bad, except that Nokia has "regionally locked" the phone for use in the US only. Bastids! Hewlett Packard, I read, and regionally coding their inket cartridges so that ones purchased in the US cannot be used in Europe (they had to drop the price in the US because of the dollar's devaluation). So, this upset me, the phone locking. I had the same problem in Malaysia earlier, and will again, and in Thailand and Russia and will all over the world. So I bought an unlocked phone for about $100 and put the new SIM card in it and I am off and running. If anyone wants to SMS me the number is +852 9262 7191. Next stop, a pharmacy. I neeeded a little antibiotic skin lotion (preventive, for when I shave my head). 90 seconds and $10 later, I had exactly what I asked for. This place does TCB on some levels. I stopped and checkout out all the bakeries I passed, drawn in by the sweet aroma, but didn't try anything. The pork flooss buns looked the best. I know, I know, PICTURES! I will get a bunch today (I left the CF card out of my camera yesterday).

I napped for a while and when Jeremy got here from Shanghai I was incoherent for about five minutes. JETLAG! Finally I got myself together and we headed out to dinner. We stopped in a BBQ place and had some BBQ chicken and BBQ goose and a couple of soups. The winner was the BBQ goose. Kind of in-between chicken and duck, meaty with perfect skin. I will have to have more before I go. That dinner was not expensive, I would say around $15.

After dinner we went out for a walk which ended up covering about five miles. I will write about that later -- right now it is breakfast time and there's a steamer full of Dim Sum waiting for us to empty it....somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home